[TN-Bird] birding east TN Saturday LONG!

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron Hoff <rondolly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:08:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

I'm just too zonked to make a story out of this, but I figured I'd
pass on the lists of what I saw and where on Saturday September 18.
First time in years I had a day off on a bird count day and didn't do
a real effort counting a specific area.  I'm cc'ing Ron these in case
he can use some or all of the info.

It was a great day, my first full day birding in months.  Beautiful
weather, ran into some great folks and got re-acquainted a bit.  A
few good species - mostly early wintering birds like the coot, or
migrants I don't always get to see, like the pipits and bobolinks.

I haven't even counted up the species number.  I'm guessing like 65.
Not too bad, since I was mostly trying to watch big water in case
some of those terns that folks had came by.  I was hoping that the
birds would return "home" via water, and thus I'd nab some of the
ones Dean had at Cherokee dam.  So I started the day by getting to
Nickajack as early as I could.

Here are the lists.

September 18, 2004
Charlie Muise

LOUDON COUNTY
Fort Loudon Dam
6:50 ? 7:20
0 miles walking, 0 miles driving

Great Blue Heron  36
Black-crowned Night-heron 13 adult 5 immature
Northern Mockingbird 2
Northern Cardinal 3
Carolina Wren 4
Belted Kingfisher 1
Wood Duck 12
Black Vulture 40
Turkey Vulture 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
Mourning Dove 2
European Starling 150
BOBOLINK 6 (flyover, vocalizing)
Carolina Chickadee 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Song Sparrow 1
American Goldfinch 6
Chimney Swift 8

Lenoir City Park
7:20 ? 7:30
0 miles walking, 0 miles driving

American Crow 4
Mourning Dove 1
Blue Jay 2
European Starling 10

BRADLEY COUNTY

Saw 1 female American Kestrel while I was driving down I-75

MARION COUNTY
Locations around Nickajack Lake:  Marion County Park, Nickajack dam,
Route 156  causeway, and the campground just outside the dam.

CASPIAN TERN 2 (later   saw a single one, presumably one of these)
Mourning Dove 4
European Starling 20
Great Blue Heron 12
American Crow 15
Turkey Vulture 50
Belted Kingfisher 2
Double-crested Cormorant 45
American Goldfinch 7
Tree Swallows 40
Killdeer 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 5
Osprey 3
Blue Jay (conservative count ? they were really moving) 45
Pied-billed Grebe ? 8
Great Horned Owl 1 (Marion County Park)
Tufted Titmouse 3
American Robin 1
Carolina Chickadee 3
Common Grackle 1
Green Heron 3
Northern Flicker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Mockingbird 3
Eastern Bluebird 7
Northern Cardinal 6
Carolina Wren 5
Broad-winged Hawk 9 (at least 4 of these had roosted there, and were
seen leaving with the vultures)
Brown-headed Nuthatches 2 (Marion County Park)
Black Vultures 21
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Pine Warbler 3

HAMILTON COUNTY
Area of Chickamauga Dam
Noon to 1pm.
1 mile walking, 1 mile driving.

Osprey 2
Turkey Vulture 5
Blue Jay 9
Great Blue Heron 15
Peregrine Falcon 2
Chimney Swift 1
Broad-winged Hawk 40 + (VERY high up, and moving south in one big
kettle.  This kettle was so hard to see, we could have missed many
others.)
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Accipiter sp 1
Black Vulture 3
Northern Mockingbird 2
European Starling 60
Cooper?s Hawk 1
Indigo Bunting 1
Carolina Wren 1

Booker T. Washington State Park
30 minutes, walked 1 mile.  No driving

Hooded Warbler 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
American Redstart ? adult male 1
Swainson?s Thrush 2
Wood Thrush 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Carolina Chickadee 7
Brown Thrasher 1
Gray Catbird 2
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 3
Turkey Vulture 2

Pelican Pointe
10 minutes.  No walking or driving

Great Egret 1
AMERICAN COOT 1
Mallard 10 (I did not here, or elsewhere, count ?bastard? mallards)
Turkey Vulture 4
Black Vulture 2
Great Blue Heron 2
Double-crested Cormorant 2

Harrison Bay State Park
15 minutes.  No walking or driving

Great Blue Heron 1
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Mallard 10
Northern Mockingbird 1
Blue Jay 2
Chimney Swift 12
Mourning Dove 1
Turkey Vulture 12

Skull Island Recreation Area
15 minutes.  No walking, 1 mile driving
Canada Goose 30
Song Sparrow 1
Blue Jay 2
Turkey Vulture 6
Black Vulture 1
Eastern Bluebird 7
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Great Blue Heron 2
American Crow 1
Mallard 5
Carolina Chickadee 3

MEIGS COUNTY
Hiwassee Refuge 4:30-5:20 pm
No walking, 1.5 mile driving
Great Blue Heron 1
Canada Goose 6
Chimney Swift 8
Unknown exotic finch 3 (see my earlier post on TN-birds)
Eastern Bluebird 2
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 7
Tree Swallow 15
European Starling 20
Northern Cardinal 1
American Kestrel 1

ROANE COUNTY
Kingston Steam Plant
5:50 ? 7:30 pm.  Drove 2 miles, walked 1

European Starling 600 (probably more!)
Northern Mockingbird 4
Turkey Vulture 7
Double-crested Cormorant 5
Chimney Swift 40
Mallard 39
Pine Warbler 6
Brown-headed Nuthatch 3
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Goldfinch 4
House Sparrow 20
Black-crowned Night-heron 1 adult
Great Blue Heron 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Killdeer 18
Canada Goose 80
Eastern Meadowlark 2
Least Sandpiper 9
American Kestrel 2
Blue-winged Teal 6
Prairie Warbler 1
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Blue Jay 4
AMERICAN PIPIT 7
Common Yellowthroat 3
Song Sparrow 3
Semi-palmated Sandpiper 1
Western Sandpiper 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey