[TN-Bird] Yellow rail follow up

  • From: "wodu1440 tds.net" <wodu1440@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:04:17 -0500

Tennessee NWR
Duck River Unit
Humphreys County
New Johnsonville, TN
10/20/11

I have had a number of inquiries concerning the yellow rail so I thought it
would be easiest to send a single post.  First thing!  *There is a quota
deer gun hunt beginning tomorrow morning through sunset Sunday.  *I do not
recommend going out and wandering in the fields/marsh/woods during the
hunt.  Please wear blaze orange if you choose to do so.

Pool 7 is readily accessible off Lawrence Creek Rd, which is a left turn off
the main road, which is Refuge Lane.  When on Lawrence Creek Rd and you pass
through the guard rails Pool 6 is on your left and Pool 7 is on your right.
Look for a farm rd on your right several hundred yards past the guard
rails.  This rd is only open to foot traffic.  The yellow rail was flushed
from the bottom edge of the bushogged strip to your left about half way down
this road to the tree line separating the front field and back field.  It
was about 150 yards off the road.  The front field has millet planted on the
upper third, the middle third has so far just had a border mowed around it,
but will be completely mowed sometime next week.  The lower third will
remain as is.  Most rails are gone by Nov. but I have encountered soras in
wet holes in farm fields containing fall panicum into Dec.

Clayton Ferrell