[TN-Bird] World Record in South America

  • From: "Mann, Jason Richard" <j.mann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:57:28 -0500

NOTE: The first version of this email was poorly transmitted and difficult to
read. Hopefully this version is easier on your eyes!
**************************
Hello birders,

Hope you?re doing well! I?m a medical student and avid birder in Nashville who
has posted to this forum from time to time. In preparation for my senior year
of school before the long hours of residency, I planned a solo expedition to
South America in July 2007.

It all started simply enough, the typical birder?s dream of visiting the
Neotropics. I have birded all over the US but one short trip to Costa Rica was
all the experience I had in the area ? I would need lots of study before
attempting a combined trip to Venezuela and Ecuador. I could not afford a tour
and prepared to travel alone. The trip went off the cliff edge from fun to
insane while reading Nigel Wheatley?s ?Where to Watch Birds in South America.?
In lauding the birding riches of the continent, Nigel commented on the amazing
species lists possible in the Neotropics.  He also noted that the longest trip
lists in the world included 797 on a 25-day tour to Kenya led by Brian Finch
but that the ?World Bird Tour Record? belonged to the Danish Ornithological
Society tour to Ecuador in 1992 led by Niels Krabbe and Kerik Molgaard. They
recorded a mind-blowing 844 species in a month. I thought, ?How amazing is
that?! I have the month of July off for the last time before retirement - I
wonder how many I can find in northern South America?? The Amazing Race was on!

So just after my last class of the year, I boarded a plane to Caracas,
Venezuela.  I'll spare you the details, but despite the fact that I got five
flat tires in two days (total of 10 flats), suffered several other car
malfunctions way out in the jungle, almost got stuck in Colombia, was illegally
waylaid at a gold and diamond mine in Guyana trying to find a bike pump without
being caught by the VZ military (Chavez and Co. just love Americans these days)
and almost got lost in the Amazon basin of Ecuador, I made it!  It was a tough
itinerary - driving at night between locations and chasing birds from dawn till
after dusk along the coast, in the rainforest, up to the cloudforest, and above
treeline in the Andes. All in all, it was a photofinish - despite all this
effort it was only in the last 24 hrs of this crazy month that I passed the
record . . . ending with a final tally of 863 (+ 6 recognized by Howell and
Ridgley but not Clements). This included 71 hummingbirds, 80 beautiful
tanagers, and a mind-numbing 123 different flycatchers. Other highlights
included my first flamingos, Hoatzin, Andean Cock-of-the Rock, boa constrictor
and anaconda, Harpy Eagle, Waved Albatross on Isla de la Plata, a fledgling
Helmeted Currasow, Sword-billed Hummingbird and Booted Racket-tail,
Gray-breasted Mountain-Toucan. I met lots of neat people along the way,
including a nice group from Tucson and a Belgian birder about my age who helped
me find a Common Potoo and Lyre-tailed Nightjar. My Spanish and Macgyver skills
definitely improved and I got some great stories for the grandkids some day. I
almost ran out of cash several times and mostly just slept in my car in the
jungle, but I think I found a bed on days 7 and 10, with showers a bit more
frequent at days 7, 10, and 29. And my poor mom thought I was crazy before.

I wanted to share this exciting news and publicly thank Chris Sloan for lending
me some books and recordings that proved invaluable for this expedition. I have
attached a trip list and a couple graphs illustrating what a ?race? it really
was ? into the last day I was wondering if I would barely miss the record, miss
my flight, or both.  I also wanted to make myself available to anyone
interested in planning a trip to the area.

Good birding,

Jason Mann
Nashville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES