[TN-Bird] Wind Bird Work Out

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:27:30 EDT

April 22, 2007
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
DeSoto Co, MS

Ed Conrad came back down to Memphis from Jackson, where he is staying and
working in West TN on studies at WMA's in West TN. Being from Utah, he  could
not resist the lure of 2 Lifers being found down here. Right off the bat,  we
cleared Upland Sandpipers from his most wanted list at Ensley, with views of
the small bunch feeding off of Riverport Road. Then we drove down to MS for
Golden-Plovers. Here we had great looks at more Uplands but far fewer than Mike

and I had on Saturday and we found 2 cooperative groups of Golden-Plovers, one
 bird had almost completed his dress uniform.

Before Ed showed up. I had located the Wilson's Phalarope, 3 Baird's
Sandpipers and found the numbers of Least Sandpipers had grown considerably
over
night plus at least 19 Semipalmated Plovers were running around like wind up
toys. Unfortunately the winds out of the south bore no Semipalmated or Western
Sandpipers. At midday, a single Stilt Sandpiper dropped in front of Ed and me,
for a new species added to the weekend Wind Bird list. We spent some time
working the flocks and after some study and tutoring Ed could pick up on the
Baird's Sandpiper out in the masses, at a couple of hundred feet without using
his field glasses. Learning shorebirds by color and habits is doable if you
have  the desire.

After, Ed had left to search for some warblers in the park, I ran into the
Riley's and we finally found the Uplands after much searching. Three were
widely  spread and staying in deeper grass than in the AM. We also had good
scope
looks  at a colorful Baird's and many Semipalmated Plovers.

This might seem to be sacrilege to some, but the most stunningly beautiful
birds of the day, were 2 birds in breeding plumage that fed just 20 feet from
us in the late afternoon sun. The photos I took do not do them justice but  do
show the complex, diverse markings and some of the iridescence of their
plumage. If these birds were to jump up in front of you on a jungle birding
trip,
there would be lost breaths and AAHS galore but here it is just the  loathed
Starling, child waif of a misguided Shakespeare fan. Look closely,  beauty
abounds at every turn, even in the most common..............

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135

What is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES