[TN-Bird] White-faced Ibis still present

  • From: magreene@xxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:29:02 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

November 30, 2006
Lake County

I was working in Lake County today so at lunch I ran by and checked on the
White-faced Ibis.  It was still in the area that Steve & Gail Clendenen
reported it yesterday.  It's on Choctow McCutcheon Rd. about 1/4 mile or so
south of the jct. with Hwy. 213 (which goes to Gray's Camp).  It was feeding in
a flooded field on the east side of the road.  On the west side of the road is
a big rice field that's been cut.  I first saw it at 11:45 am and I watched it
for about 30 minutes.  It fed by itself the entire time I was watching it.  The
only other birds nearby were Killdeer.  It was feeding along the edge of the
water and it got to within 20 yards of me before it flew further out into the
field onto a small grassy "island" area surrounded by water.  I heard it give a
typical Plegadis ibis "uhnn, uhnn, uhnn" call as it flew.

Nancy Moore is back home so maybe she will be able to check on the bird from
time to time if it sticks around a little longer.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County