[TN-Bird] Wheeler Wildlife Refuge Field Trip

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:48:51 EST

Fellow Tn-Birders
May I add to the note announcing your upcoming field trip to Wheeler.   The
normally closed Whitesburg Dike area is part of my CBC area.  It is an  awesome
place to bird.  Expect to have your skills tested with sparrows,  the wet
areas in particular are a challenge with elusive sparrows often  responding to
pishing and the ducking back into the weedy cover.

A few rare wintering warbler species are likely to be found.  Possible  are a
couple of vireo species, including Blue-headed.  Don't forget to look  up
regularly while birding, since the sky can often be alive with ducks, geese,
gulls, terns and a variety of raptors.  Nesting Great-horned Owls should be  on
the prowl in the daytime, so keep an eye out for these parent birds feeding
young.  Search the powerlines and right of ways for rare seedeaters and
raptors.

I wish I could join your for the trip.  Good birding guys.  If  you find the
Vermilion Flycatcher, flip a special salute for Martha and me, he  eluded us
on count day.

Bless all.
Bob

Bob  Sargent