[TN-Bird] Re: Tundra Swans - Greenback Area - Loudon County, TN 1/25/09

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bhowdy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:13:32 -0500

Tony King just called me.  He and Denise relocated the Tundra Swans in Loudon
County around 11:30 this morning.  He says they are about 100 yards off the
road in the middle of a green field.  Driving on 411 from Lenoir City toward
Maryville they are on the right hand side of the road some distance after
passing the turnoff for Route 72.  If I am remembering correctly what he told
me, after passing 72 there are homes and then fields.  The field where he and
Denise saw the swans is opposite a commercial building with a big BNP sign on
it.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN> From: bhowdy@xxxxxxxxxxx> To:
tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [TN-Bird] Tundra Swans - Greenback Area -
Loudon County, TN 1/25/09> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:46:19 -0500> > While
returning home from a business trip late this afternoon (Sunday, > January 25,
2009) my wife and I noticed a couple of large white birds > in a farm field,
south side of US 411 in the Greenback area, of Loudon > County. After looking
closer I figured out that they were Tundra > Swans, an adult and a juvenile.
The best pinpointing of location that > I can offer; The Swans were between the
point where 411 crosses the > lake and McGhee Road.> I have a few photos of the
birds, apologies for the quality of the > images, it was almost dark and the
birds were well out into the field, > so these are significantly cropped
images.> > The pair> http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/photos/461712968_YPc8v-XL.jpg> >
Adult> http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/photos/461714612_hhcNm-X2.jpg> > Juvenile>
http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/photos/461712193_GotTM-XL.jpg> > Gallery (w/other
photos)> http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/gallery/7190415_o5W4m#461712193_GotTM> > Bob
Howdeshell> Maryville, Tennessee> > =================NOTES TO
SUBSCRIBER=====================> > The TN-Bird Net requires you to SIGN YOUR
MESSAGE with> first and last name, CITY (TOWN) and state abbreviation.> You are
also required to list the COUNTY in which the birds> you report were seen. The
actual DATE OF OBSERVATION should> appear in the first paragraph.>
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society > Neither the
society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)> endorse the views or opinions expressed> by
the members of this discussion group.> > Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol,
TN> wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Andy Jones> Cleveland, OH> -------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Dave Worley> Rosedale, VA>
Tennessee Ornithological Society> web site at http://www.tnbirds.org> * * * * *