[TN-Bird] Trumpeter Swans still present in Dyer Co.

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:55:43 -0800 (PST)

January 15, 2009
Hwy. 51, Dyer Co. (just south of Obion Co. line)

At 10:30 am this morning the 2 Trumpeter Swans were still in the same area
where they were found by Bill Pulliam and reported by Mike Todd earlier this
week. They had moved back over to the pool on the east side of Hwy. 51 4-lane.
They were sleeping in the company of several ducks when I saw them this
morning.

If you go to the area, check both pools for the birds if you don't find them at
one place or the other. The pool on the west side of Hwy. 51 is just south of
the jct. of County Line Rd. and Hwy. 51. In fact it's where Hwy. 89 / 105
coming out of Trimble jct. with Hwy. 51. That pool is best viewed from the
on-ramp onto Hwy. 51 going south towards Dyersburg. When the birds were first
found and when I saw them Tuesday they were at the north end of this pool. The
other pool (on the east side of the Hwy 51 4-lane) is just southeast of the
west pool. If you're going south on 51 you'll have to drive several miles (all
the way down to the Newbern exit) to legally turn around and head back north on
the 4-lane so you'll be on the right side of the highway. This pool is where
the birds were this morning. This pool was already mostly frozen as it's a
little ore protected from the wind and also shallower than the west pool. The
west pool was still 95% open water this
 morning but I would expect that will change somewhat as we're supposed to be
in single digits for the low here tonight!

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES