[TN-Bird] Thank you, Tennessee birders

  • From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:09:06 -0700

Dear Tennessee Birders, Friday night I returned from my one week training class
in Chattanooga, where to my pleasant surprise, I got 3 new lifebirds (an
amazing feat when you have no car[My job sends me on these trips, then tells me
to carpool to class with co-workers]).   On Tuesday I walked out of the office
building, and had 3 Fish Crows sitting in the trees around the artificial pond
(This is approximately 200 yards from Chickamauga Creek).  They were a lifebird
that I don't remember seeing in Tennessee last year.  Marty Paige took me to
his house, where I got great photos of Tufted Titmouse, Pine Warbler, Eastern
Bluebird, etc.  Utterly common birds for you, excellent birds for a
Californian.  On another day he drove me to Chester Frost State Park, where I
got excellent photos of Red-headed Woodpeckers.   Tommie Rogers dragged me all
over Chattanooga until we finally found a Black Duck (lifebird #2).  We also
had Rusty Blackbirds at Standifer Gap Marsh.  I would say that they are a
rarity in California, but I understand that they have become rare
everywhere.Tommie also gave me excellent directions for finding an Eastern Wren
(lifebird #3, since they split Winter Wren into Pacific Wren & Eastern Wren) in
Harrison Bay State Park.  I didn't think I would make it there, but our class
finished early on Friday, and I talked my co-workers into driving me there.
Upon our arrival at the secluded part of Harrison Bird where the wren hangs
out, we discovered some other park patrons engaged in an activity other than
birding that can take place in the forest.  Oh, my.

Thomas Geza Miko,

B.Sc. Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiaton & Lab Safety

653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., unit C

Claremont, CA 91711
U.S.A.

Home: 909.445.1456