[TN-Bird] Tennessee - Mississippi - Dec-28

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:08:02 -0500 (EST)

Dec. 28, 2011
Shelby Co. TN
Tunica Co. MS

TVA LAKE; Lesser Scaup with green, yellow and red bill tags,  Greater Scaup
numbers low so far. Need lakes to north to freeze and push the  waterfowl
down.

ENSLEY BOTTOMS; Red-tails - eastern, western, intermediate  morphs, rufous
morph, Harlan's and Krider's. Bald Eagle in late transition to  adult
plumage, 44 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, 4 Least Sandpipers. Sparrows  Galore

CORO AND ROBCO LAKES; Lots of ducks, gulls and cormorants to  sort through.

TUNICA CO; Greater Yellowlegs, Sandhill Cranes, Laps, Pipits,  Horned
Larks, sparrows, 9 Western Meadowlarks, Gulls-Gulls-Gulls. Last week-  Thayer's
2, Lesser Black-backed 1, Herring and Ring-billed. Yesterday just  the 2
expected species.

The light morph Harlan's is still hanging out where the dark  Harlan's
stayed for 3 winters - why is this busy location so good for  Harlan's??

I was searching for Western Meadowlarks in the early  afternoon and came
upon a swirl of raptors in the air with others in trees. Low  over the field 6
Harrier's, 3 more above along with 6 Red-tails in flight and  perched. Then
way higher, THREE SHORT-EARED OWLS. Coyotes or other predator must  have
disturbed them off their roost. A Cooper's rested in a dense stand of trees
nearby.

I've added a few photos to 2011 site at:

_http://www.pbase.com/image/140605193_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/140605193)

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.