[TN-Bird] TN-MS - Gulls-Ducks and Swan

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:08:06 EST

Jan. 20, 2007
Ensley Bottoms-Robco Lake
Shelby Co. TN
Tunica Co. MS

Still tied close to home but had a few good birds on a dull dreary day. The
escapee Mute Swan that occasionally frequents the barrow pits around the
expressways has returned to one of its favorite wet holes on the north leg of
240
east of the Highland exit. The bird started out a few years back  as an
immature bird on McKellar Lake.

At TVA Lakes in Ensley Bottoms, the dredging efforts have cut the duck
numbers down but there are still a few Canvasback and Redheads in the mix of
scaup
etc. There are still a couple of bill tagged Lesser Scaup in the flock.  With
the numbers of Lesser down the Greater Scaup were in higher concentration,
especially in the east pond. Most of the other birds may have transferred to
Robco Lake as it was covered up with a great variety. Unfortunately it  started
raining and left me no choice but to head down to Tunica for a GULL  FIX.

The dump was hustling and the numbers in the roosting flocks out in the
fields, sometimes mind numbing. Finally, there were more interesting birds in
the
mix than in recent days. No adult Herring, but a surprising THREE third year
birds, the hardest age group to find in these flocks. I ended with 9 immature
 Herring and finally late in the day a Thayer type gull dropped in that
looked  more Kumlien's/Iceland like. I have a few shots taken in the failing
light
but  I'll try for better shots today. It takes hours of waiting as these gulls
trade  in and out of the dump but goodies are found in this huge
concentration using the area.

Over 90 Sandhill Cranes were strewn about one huge Rice field. These  are
great additions to our super winter show in the Tunica area.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135