[TN-Bird] Sumner county bird finds

  • From: oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:09:36 -0500

Counting birds in Hendersonville and Portland, both in Sumner county, I had
some interesting finds this weekend.

Saturday after searching farmland for possible cave entrances near Portland, I
drove to the nearby Portland and Sportsmans Lakes, two miles northeast of
Portland.  Driving north on the road and looking in the lake to the right, I
spotted some light-colored ducks, and pulled over and scanned Sportsmans Lake,
finding about 10 Canvasback and 5 Redheads.  Driving a little farther down the
road to Portland Lake on the left, I looked to the upper end of this lake and
saw a couple of swans swimming with some Canada Geese.  After picking up my
buddy up the road, we returned and drove back to the lake, where we walked the
frozen mud along the shore toward the far end of the lake.  American Pipits
were found just below the parking area on the northwest side of the lake, and
more were found all the way back to the end of the lake.  We finally got close
enough to identify the swans as Mute Swans, and kept hiking to see what else
was in the lake.  Among over 100 Canada Geese were some Ame
 rican Wigeon, Gadwall, and Mallards, but also a single Ross's Goose.  In all
there were 8 Mute Swans.  I returned today to take some pictures, and all 8
swans were still there, but the Ross's Goose was gone.  All the ducks from
Sportsmans Lake had moved to Portland Lake.  Only one American Pipit was found
today.  There are 3 farm ducks on this lake, one white and two mallard-like.
After talking with a landowner at the top of the hill, the Mute Swans are not
permanent residents, but are just moving through with the other ducks and
geese.  I had thought this since I didn't see them in the summer, but wanted to
be sure.  To find these lakes from Portland, drive east and north past the
substation shown on the Delorme and topo map to Denning Road, drive east about
a half-mile, then turn north onto Lake? Road, which goes down between the
lakes.  Sportsmans Lake on the right is private, and Portland Lake on the left
is public.  These lakes are on page 66 of Delorme TN, section 1B,
  at the left edge of the page, halfway between Highways 259 and 52.

Today, Sunday, I counted birds along Drakes Creek in Hendersonville, from
Drakes Creek Park on the north side of Gallatin Road, to Sanders Ferry Park on
the southern end of the peninsula off Sanders Ferry Road.  The water treatment
plant held a few Gadwall and Bufflehead, but the normal Hooded Mergansers were
out in the main lake since their cove below the water plant was frozen over.
Also out in the lake here, just out from the Drakes Creek boat ramp, were about
13 Canvasback, hard to count due to the constant diving.  One Herring Gull was
here among the many Ring-Billed Gulls.  Also seen at the boat ramp park was an
American Pipit.  I was able to get a couple of photographs, then 3 others flew
over and it decided to join them and fly up the lake.  Two winter wrens were
seen at Portland Lake and Drakes creek park.  Only a few Great Blue Herons were
on the nesting island in Drakes Creek; less then 5.  Drakes Creek Park is
located on the north and south sides of Gallatin Road
  in Hendersonville where it crosses the upper arm of the lake/creek there.
Drakes Creek Park North must be entered from the Indian Lake Extension just
east of the main park road while the old bridge there is under
renovation/repair.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN
A single Snow Goose was among over 100 Canada Geese at the north end of the
lake in Drakes Creek, just north of Gallatin Road.  It was swimming when first
seen, but later was eating grass with the other geese in backyards along the
shore.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES