[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh, Least Bittern Nest

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:06:16 -0000

Standifer Gap Marsh, Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., TN
June 22, 2004
LEAST BITTERN:  About 9:00 AM I found what I believe is a Least Bittern nest,
with 4 eggs.  I did not see an adult on or near the nest, but we have seen
Least Bitterns near this spot quite a few times and saw one fly to this spot
yesterday evening about 9:00 PM.

The nest is in a clump of cattails, about 16 inches above the water, made of
cattail leaves.  Nest and eggs conform to description in Bent's Life Histories.
 However, this bird had not read the part where Bent's contributors describe
how easy it is to find the nest.

Two Least Bitterns were calling somewhere in the vicinity of the Water Lillies,
1000 ft away, unlikely that this was their nest.

VIRGINIA RAIL: The 6 young have left the nest, they were probably close by, the
adults were very excited.  No use looking for the young; they are about the
size and color of dried prunes, have a talent for hiding, and don't move or
make noise.  3 eggs remain.

WILLOW FLYCATCHER:  Still 4 eggs, the adults incubate part-time.

David and Gloria Patterson