[tn-bird] Snowy Owl

  • From: "Evan James" <ewjames@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tn-Bird Email List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:20:20 -0500

Just in case anyone has a chance to make it up to KY this week, Mark
Armstrong and I went up today.  We left Knoxville around 8:00 and arrived
around 11:45.  The bird was in the same general area as has been previously
reported.  Although today it had to contend with two "wildlife
photographers" who insisted on approaching it in the middle of a field.
They repeatedly approached it causing it to fly to 5 or 6 different
locations in the field on the right of Bishop Ridge Road.  After they left,
the bird settled down in a spot and didn't move for nearly an hour.  If you
go, take a scope, as the bird has taken to sitting in the middle of this
field on the ground.  We were there for nearly two hours and it never moved
to the utility poles or fence posts as has been reported previously.  We
decided the bird is an immature male.  I am interested what the other who
have seen it think.

Anyway,  it was truly magnificent; well worth the trip!

Evan James
Townsend, TN
Blount County

-- Type: application/ms-tnef