[TN-Bird] Seven Islands WR MAPS banding

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:51:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge
Knox County, TN
June 12, 2005

Today we ran between rain drops and were able to get in most of a
day's banding, though we had to close nets several times.

We were able to catch 38 birds, including 11 that had been previously
banded.  Yellow-breasted Chat continues to be one of our most-caught
species.

A fledgling Brown Thrasher, with it's milky-gray eyes (as opposed to
brilliant yellow of adults) was a neat bird.

Prothonotary Warblers continue to sing very near one of our nets.  3
have been banded this year, including one during MAPS season.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher makes the 22nd species we've banded this
season.

The day was further highlighted by fly-overs of Double-crested
Cormorant and Black-crowned Night-heron.

Species caught:

Yellow-breasted Chat 2
Northern Cardinal 1
House Finch 1
Carolina Wren 1
Song Sparrow 2
Indigo Bunting 1
Brown Thrasher 1
Willow Flycatcher 1
American Goldfinch 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Orchard Oriole 2
Eastern Kingbird 1
House Finch 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Field Sparrow 3

Recaptures:
Willow Flycatcher 2
Yellow-breasted Chat 3
Orchard Oriole 2
Common Yellowthroat 2
Indigo Buntin 2
Northern Cardinal 1
Song Sparrow 1

Unbanded birds:
Song Sparrow
Carolina Wren
Field Sparrow

Good day!

Charlie

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson