[TN-Bird] Scott County Birding/ Brewer's Blackbird/Loon

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, SSTEDMAN@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:02:57 -0500

     On Monday  11-18-02 I birded a few areas of the little birded Scott
County, TN         The weather am was cold 30 with very light breezes and
Sunny today
Time in field   7 hrs.
     Specifically I checked the Oneida City Park Lake/ Elizabeth Lake (at
the Oneida City Golf Course)  the Scott County Airport and adjacent
cattle lots/pastures and areas along the way. (This is a great area with
hundreds of acres of pastureland with potential for some great rare
finds)
    On the return home I drove back into Winona to Cordell/ending at Big
Bull Creek in the afternoon. (SE area of county near Campbell County
line)  This was a remote area that of course had few birds this time of
year but nice habitat/potential for Wood Warblers to be plentiful.

   I thought a COMMON LOON at the Oneida City Park to be a great find
until I returned home and read the Tn bird list of a few thousand loons
around in other areas!  Still a great bird for me as a Scott County first
record as far as I know.
Partial list of other birds present there were:
RING-NECKED DUCKS       33
BUFFLEHEAD                          3
GADWALL                                7
AM. COOT                                7
PIED-BILLED GREBE               1
CANADA GOOSE                     32
KILLDEER                                 38
AMERICAN PIPIT                     2
COOPER'S HAWK                    1
RED-TAILED HAWK                 2
TURKEY VULTURE (flyover heading West)  39
AM. CROWS  (stream of birds continually for several minutes)  88

ELIZABETH LAKE( Ponderosa Estates-Oneida Golf Course)
CANADA GOOSE                117
RUDDY DUCKS                       2
PB  GREBE                               10
RING-NECKED DUCK            16
GADWALL                                  6

SCOTT COUNTY AIRPORT/CATTLE FIELDS ADJACENT

AMERICAN PIPIT         75+  several flocks of 15-30 and more moving
around in different areas.  12 seen well and up close on ground in cow
pasture.

*BREWER'S BLACKBIRD  1     Best bird for today. Seen well walking in edge
of cow pasture and studied from about 25 ft away.

Other birds in this area were : WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW 8-10
Song Sp.  Wh. Throated/   Swamp/  Chipping/  Junco and House Sp.
Red-Tail Hawk- 3  Red-Shoulder   1   and 1 AMERICAN KESTREL.
There were good numbers of several other expected species present also.
Robins/ Goldfinch etc...
Red-Winged Blackbirds/

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN