[TN-Bird] Re: Sandhill Cranes

  • From: "Aborn, David" <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "shatmak@xxxxxxxxx" <shatmak@xxxxxxxxx>, "shelcove@xxxxxxx" <shelcove@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:29:47 +0000

Operation Migration and the International Crane Foundation keep track of
Whooping Crane numbers at Hiwassee, so they will be able to tell if there is a
change. If a whooper does get shot, the impact will mostly be on public
relations, as the eastern birds are considered to be an experimental population
under the Endangered Species Act, so the penalties will be light. Recall the
person who shot one of the whoopers in Indiana a couple of years ago. He was
fined $1 plus court costs.  If hunting makes the whoopers stay on the refuge
more, that could be good because they would be safe there. If hunting causes
them to go elsewhere, it might increase the likelihood that one will get shot,
even if they go outside the hunt zone. I have 10 years of data on the Sandhill
Cranes, so I will be able to detect differences in their numbers, behavior,
on-refuge vs. off-refuge use, etc.