[TN-Bird] Rose-breasted grosbeak, sharp-shinned hawk (Roane Co.)

  • From: "Raincrow" <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:29:14 -0700

Hi all
(This is my maiden post to TN-bird under my new email address...)
A friend just called from my front yard, 7 miles south of Kingston, and
described in perfect detail a male Rose-breasted grosbeak. I hope he'll have
photos, too. (Better yet, I hope I get to see the bird with my own eyeballs.)

The Rubythroat hummingbirds have dropped off for now -- we had 6, now I think
there are only 2.

A little Sharpie (just passing through, I'm pretty sure) created a stir in my
yard yesterday -- it and a tribe of Blue jays had a merry 5-minute battle when
it decided to perch on the dead oak across the road from my driveway. The jays
would harass it, it would chase them away and return to its perch, they'd
return, and it would chase them again. Finally one jay perched perhaps 8 inches
away and almost eye-to-eye with they hawk -- they weren't that dissimilar in
size! -- and goaded the hawk into one more chase after which the jays
disappeared and the hawk perched unmolested.

And I lost one of my favorite birding buddies to cancer, a friend whom I could
never talk into joining TN-bird or any birding organization, but who was for
30+ years one of the most avid backyard bird/wildlife watchers and
photographers I've known, with an unfailing eye for morphological detail when
it came time to identify a bird he'd never seen before, and a backyard that he
cultivated for decades as a smorgasbord for just about every creature that
walks, flies, or crawls.

Also 2 older observations: About 10 days ago in Oak Ridge (Anderson County), on
a gravel road that parallels OR Turnpike and is quite the wildlife showcase, I
was privileged to have my passage blocked by 16 wild turkeys. They were every
bit as bad as a gaggle of geese about stopping in the road and consulting with
one another, taking their sweet time, and then there were the inevitable 2-3
stragglers after everybody else had made it to the other curb. Three days
later, 9 turkeys crossed in front of me as I cruised through the Grande Vista
development near Rockwood (Roane Co.).

Happy fall migration,

Liz Singley
Kingston TN