[TN-Bird] Roan Mtn / Ripshin Lake Breeding Bird Summer Count report

  • From: MerlinZ02@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:22:02 EDT

Hello Bristol Area and Tennessee Wide Area Birders,

First I want to apologize for missing the compilation Sunday afternoon for
the Lee and Lois Herndon TOS breeding bird summer count.  Being caught in a
Thunder / Hail Storm while on the Appalachian Trail between Carver's Gap and
the
Rhododendron Gardens.  As the hail was stinging of the back of my neck (as I
had no type of rain protection) I knew I wasn't going to make it.  I arrived
back at my car at Carver's Gap at 2:15, which was too late to even try.  Again
my
apologizes.

I stayed on Roan Mt Friday night so I decided to go and check for Saw-whet
Owls Friday night / Early Saturday morning.  At 11:40pm (Friday) I got a single
SAW-WHET OWL to respond to my whistling from the Carver's Gap parking area.
This bird was in the general vicinity of the nest box structure off the main
road leading up to the rhododendron gardens.  I never saw the bird but that is
where the sound was coming from.  I decided to hang around until 12:01am
(Saturday) to officially count this bird before heading back to the house in
Burbank
where I was staying.

By 5:00, I was again back at Carver's Gap listening to the same Saw-whet Owl
(at least this was from the same direction).  I found it interesting that
before it was really light on top of the mountain, 3 ALDER FLYCATCHERS were
singing from their perches deep within the blankets of Alders in the Carver's
Gap
area.  So now I am thinking at that before 6am I have had two pretty rare
species for our area and how this could shape up to be a really good day.

Near 6am I walk up the main road for just a little bit where I hear a bird
sing with 2 distinct notes at the beginning then sounding like a tired Winter
Wren.  What I mean is it was bubbling over itself like a Winter Wren does but
just not as excited about it.  I immediately think RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET
(especially with the 2 distinct high notes at the beginning).  Try as I might,
I was
not able to get a visual identification.  I include it on this list because
Nora Schubert, Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy's Seasonal Ecologist,
described the exact same song as I described (and again with no visual).."two
distinct high notes before and the rest just not like a Winter Wren."  I will
let the powers that be decide whether or not that is enough evidence, but I
think that is what it was.

I had decided that from between 6 and 9am I would scramble to as many places
on Roan Mtn.  I did this with the hopes of getting as many birds singing as
possible while keeping good records to what I had where as not to count the
birds twice upon my return visit.

By 9am I was back at Carver's Gap to sample more high elevation birds (where
I saw one of the Alder Flycatchers singing from an Alder branch between the
parking areas).  I walked with the group from SAHC (led by Nora Schubert) part
of the way up the Appalachian Trail heading toward the Rhododendron Gardens.
Here we sample Golden-crowned Kinglet, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Winter Wrens,
and Veerys.

From here I blanket Roan Mt from top to bottom; hitting all the good spots I
know about and get a fair share of more birds to add.  Around 11am I turn up
to the Miller's Homestead and walk out the trail past the overlook platform.  I
had high hopes to get a certain bird here and was not disappointed as I heard
a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER call and peck from his tree to the west of the
trail.

The rest of the day was spent skirting the bottom of the mountain, the town
of Roan Mtn (where I did find the elusive Northern Mockingbird, but NO
Killdeer), and a lengthly afternoon trip to Ripshin Lake Area (where I had to
wait out
a 35-40 minute downpour).  At 6pm and after 13 hours in the field, I called
it quits with 80 species of birds. Big misses were both Vultures, Broad-winged
Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Killdeer, Rock Dove, Screech Owl,
Louisiana Waterthrush, and both Orioles.  The complete list follows:

(I ran into Rack Cross at Hampton Creek Cove.  He was doing a point count for
the Tennessee State Ornithologist in Hampton Creek Cove.  I am still awaiting
his list so these numbers might fluctuate just a little bit.)

Start Temp 45F (at Carver's Gap)
End Temp 75F
Total Mileage 127
Owling Miles 20
Birding Miles 107
Owling time 1.5 hours
Birding time 11.5 hours
Total Birding Time 13 hours

Birding Party - Rob Biller with help from Rack Cross and Nora Schubert

Canada Goose (Ripshin area) 10
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 31
Great Horned Owl 1
Barred Owl 1
Northern Saw-whet Owl 1
Chimney Swift 3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 5
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Miller Homestead) 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 4