[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake area, 9/14/08

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:25:28 -0500

9/14/08
Reelfoot Lake area

After getting off of work Sunday morning, I drove to Reelfoot to meet Jeff,
Gail King, and Nancy Moore. They were there when the storm came thru and did
some major damage to the area, and during the bad weather had a number of
terns etc on the Lake. It had calmed down nicely be the time arrived, but
birds were fewer. On the day the only real surprises were the juv.
Long-tailed Jaeger (pale type) that we enjoyed for a few minutes as it
harassed the few terns and lone Ring-billed Gull in the area, then sitting
on the water for a minute, before flying out of view. We tried all day to
locate this bird again, but with no luck. It was a TN bird for both Gail and
Nancy, so great bird all the way around. Otherwise, a lone Wood Stork that
sailed over Champey's Pocket late in the day as we were trying to relocate a
Least Flycatcher was about it for exciting birds. There were a couple of
interesting maybes in the distance earlier that could have been goodies, but
just too far away.

We had all 5 species of expected terns in TN, and lots of Pintails flying
around the Lake with the Mallards, Shovelers, and Teal. An afternoon trip to
Tiptonville Bar revealed nothing but a Sanderling (my year bird though).

Jeff had some good stuff on the way home, including 62 Wood Storks in a hole
near I 155.

I have posted a distant shot of the Reelfoot Wood Stork in my Fall 2008
gallery if anyone cares to see it: http://www.pbase.com/image/103172020

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN