[TN-Bird] Red-shouldered Hawk, Dickcissel, etc. (Cocke Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:45:39 -0400

June 19, 2005

Rankin Wildlife Management Area (RWMA) and vicinity (Cocke County)

Leslie Gibbens, Michael Sledjeski, and I met at Rankin this morning to do a point count survey by canoe at the WMA and adjacent areas along the French Broad River. We traveled over five miles and surveyed at nine points. Along the way, we also counted birds between stops in order to create a more comprehensive picture of the birds present in the area. En route to the site early in the morning and en route to Greeneville in the afternoon, I added a few numbers and species to what we had gotten during the survey. Here's an abbreviated list, with my conservatively counted totals:

Double-crested Cormorant (26 at RWMA and vicinity, including 1on a nest);
Great Blue Heron (20);
Green Heron (14 at RWMA and vicinity);
Black-crowned Night-Heron (4 at RWMA);
Wood Duck (10 adults and 11 young at RWMA and vicinity);
Osprey (4 adults and 3 young, at 2 nests--one on the former Rankin Bridge, one at the tipple at RWMA);
Red-shouldered Hawk (2 about a quarter mile upstream from Rankin Bridge);
Wild Turkey;
Northern Bobwhite (adjacent to RWMA);
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (16);
Red-headed Woodpecker (2 at RWMA);
Eastern Wood-Pewee (2);
Eastern Phoebe (4);
Great Crested Flycatcher (6);
Eastern Kingbird (8);
Purple Martin (3 near Parrottsville);
Tree Swallow (19);
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (3);
Cliff Swallow (243+, mostly at Rankin Bridge);
Barn Swallow (9);
unidentified swallows (several dozen, swirling around throughout the morning);
White-breasted Nuthatch (2);
House Wren (in Parrottsville);
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (34 at RWMA and vicinity);
Brown Thrasher;
Cedar Waxwing (5);
White-eyed Vireo (4);
Yellow-throated Vireo (2 at RWMA);
Warbling Vireo (5 at RWMA and vicinity);
Red-eyed Vireo (10);
Northern Parula (about a quarter mile upstream from Rankin Bridge);
Prothonotary Warbler (39 at RWMA and vicinity);
Common Yellowthroat (13);
Yellow-breasted Chat (3);
Blue Grosbeak (3);
Indigo Bunting (51);
Dickcissel (along Industrial Road 0.1 mile north of Lehigh Drive);
Chipping Sparrow (2);
Field Sparrow (3);
Eastern Meadowlark (2);
Orchard Oriole (10 at RWMA and vicinity);
Baltimore Oriole (6 at RWMA and vicinity).

Throughout the canoe trip, I was mildly surprised by the frequent occurrence of chickadees, titmice, Carolina Wrens, and Song Sparrows among the flooded trees along the river. Apparently, these species are more inclined to nest over or very near water than I realized.

At a couple of points, I thought I might have heard a Greater Yellowlegs calling in the far distance, but I could verify nothing. Although unexpected at this time of year, a straggler is possible.

As always at Rankin, the birding was great. Thanks once again to Leslie and Michael for making the experience possible.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)