[TN-Bird] Red tail/harrier "batelle royale" at St. Thomas Aquinus Campus!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:58:29 EST

Hi TN-Birders,

What a show!  What a show!  What a BIG, BIG show!

At about 11:45 AM today, as I sat at the reception desk just inside the
glass-fronted Emergency Room waiting room at St.Thomas Hospital in the Belle
Meade area of West Nashville (Davidson County) where I volunteer each Thursday
morning, I looked across the way to see one of the resident red-tailed hawks
wheeling in the sky, from whence it then came down to perch in a tree.   This
is
not an unusual sight, as it happens almost every Thursday.

Suddenly, an interloper appeared and took a swipe at the red-tail.  At
first, I thought it might be a second red-tail starting a little territorial
and
"testosteronial" battle.  In a moment, I realized, as the two lifted off  into
the air together, that the "new" bird was NOT a red-tail.  I left the  desk
and dashed outside where several people had also noticed the two  hawks.  The
hawks latched talons in mid air, separated, and the red-tail  soared higher
with
tail a-fan while the "new" hawk plummeted groundward, then  flew right across
the St. Thomas Heliopad about 75 feet in front of us at eye  level.  With the
slim gray body, the long black-tipped wings, long tail AND  that fantastic
white rump, it proved to be a harassing harrier!  It flew  back around; the
red-tail flew down, and they went at it again.  About that  time, one woman
commented, "Them two ain't the same kind of birds."  I told  her she was right
and
pointed out the field marks and differences to  her and a couple of other
people who gathered around to listen.  About that  time, the birds repeated the
performance with the red-tail soaring aloft while  the harrier once again
sailed
right over the heliopad at close range.  My  "companions" saw the differences
as I pointed them out, and there were a couple  of "Oooooohs" as he swooped
back up in the sky to battle again.  These  little forays went on for about ten
minutes in the area between the  hospital and  the St. Thomas Aquinas/St.
Cecilia School campus next  door.  I did not see where the red-tail went at the
end, but the harrier  once again made a fast sail across the heliopad to insure
that he'd made a fine  imprint upon all our brains then sped on out behind St.
Thomas toward Richland  Creek, McCabe Golf Course & the campuses of Tennessee
Tech &  Nashville Tech where there are large expanses of short grass and some
taller  grass over which a harrier might enjoy hunting.  What a sight to see,
and  it gave several worried people (who were there with family members who
were  being treated in the Emergency Room) a moment of excitement and a
learning  experience.  When the birds were first spotted, those folks were
outside on
 a lovely day getting some air and using their cell phones to call other
family  members.  Every one of them took a break to watch the show, and a
couple
of  them even thanked me for pointing out the obvious differences in the two
species  which they'd thought were "some kind of hawks."

It all sort of made the day, and when I left duty, a red-tail was perched  in
a tree between the hospital and the schools where its territory is, once
again, intact.  The harrier, undoubtedly more practiced in fighting now,  will
probably go home to his nesting grounds to defend HIS own territory  after,
maybe, getting in a few more practice rounds as he wends his way along  the
migration route.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN