[TN-Bird] Red Necked Phalarope

  • From: muise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:35:24 -0400

After recieving several messages and posting other people's finds I decided to
head to Cades Cove (GSMNP, Blount Co) for a look at the Phalaropes.  I was
there (and so were they) until 4:15 pm. The birds were there when I left. I
studied them for about an hour and got pretty good looks with just my bins (I
didn't want to try to manage Allan, diaper bag, bins and the heavy Kowa.  So I
left the scope at home).

The two birds were definitely in alternate/juvenile plumage.  The lighter bird
clearly was done molting.  They both had dark backs with light streaking, dark
eye patches going back and long, skinny, dark bills.  I did not see any light
color on the bills.  I estimated the bills to be longer than their heads.  I
was able to see some of the streaking on the lower neck/breast area.  The
darker bird still had a dark cap.

Tracey Muise