[TN-Bird] Recent sightings (west TN)

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:33:28 -0700 (PDT)

5/20/2010
Oneal Lake (Hatchie NWR)- Haywood County
After work I made a quick run to Oneal Lake to check on David Kirschke's
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, with no luck. Checked again late afternoon on
5/21 on my way home from Memphis, also with no luck.

Ed Davis Fish Farm-Gibson Co
Ran thru here on way home as well, no shorebirds at all but a calling Alder
Flycatcher was nice.

Carroll Co- checked on my Willow Flycatchers in the Obion River bottom where I
usually get them, also no luck. Did have a Lark Sparrow about a half-mile from
where the two I posted photos of were. The distances these birds cover, could
easily be one of that pair. Also a Loggerhead Shrike in the area, scarce summer
bird.

5/21/2010
Reelfoot area to Memphis
Hit Walnut Log (Obion Co), and had absolutely no transient warblers, though a
Cerulean finally was nice. Did have a couple of calling Least Flycatchers as
the highlight.

Checked on Scott Somershoe's Bell's Vireo (Lake Co) , and heard it singing as
soon as I stopped. Able to get some nice photos of this little sprite.
Otherwise in Lake Co, not much. About 30 Black Terns were working over Reelfoot
out from Keystone. Least Terns are around in good numbers now, and the ones at
Phillipy had to resort to sitting in the road. Others were seen scattered
around sitting in the flooded fields. Only shorebirds were a handful of Least,
Semi and Pectorals, and a single Black-bellied and Semi Plover in the fields
west of Ridgely.

I crossed over to I-55 to make the trip to Memphis, since I hadn't been at all
this spring. Had a dozen Black Terns feeding over a roadside lake along I-155
at Caruthersville, MO, which let me get some decent photos of them as well.

My first stop in Memphis was President's Island. Didn't take long to find a
pair of Western Kingbirds, but it took a little while to finally find a
Scissor-tail, and it was a flyover. After this, hit Ensley and had a nice show
by a male Painted Bunting. Nothing else at all in that area though. Shorebirds
were practically nonexistent, guess the Peregrine had done it's work before I
arrived. Had a few Semi Sands, Least, Pectorals, and a couple of Spotted's to
go with the Killdeer and Black-necked Stilts. A hen Lesser Scaup was hanging
out in one of the wet areas.

That's all she wrote. I've placed some new photos in my Spring 2010 Gallery.
Several of the Bell's Vireo, and  several shots of a few others that gave me
better than usual photo-ops. First new image starts here:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/124797163/original

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN