[TN-Bird] Recent Sightings Olive Sided Flycatcher etc

  • From: "jimimoore@xxxxxxxx" <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:41:08 GMT

Sat. 9- 15- 2007          Late post

Cool a.m.  52 - N.  NW.  brisk winds as cool front blew through

While photographing elk in Sunquist Wildlife Management,  (Campbell Coun=
ty section  near Hatmaker Knob  and the elk viewing tower)  I glimpsed a=
 flycatcher "hawking insects" that I initially thought would be  either =
an Eastern Phoebe or Eastern Wood Pewee. I suddenly dawned on me that hi=
s bird did not fit the "profile" for either of those species, but was st=
ockier looking and did not pump the tail as a Phoebe does when he was  h=
awking insects and returning to a perch in the top of a dead tree. The b=
ill was bigger than a Pewee, the tail shorter and the flight movement as=
 he hawked insects was definitely unusual for what I usually observe in =
any of the other local Flycatchers.  He also clearly had the "vested" lo=
ok of an Olive-Sided on both sides of the breast.

I sat down my camera and studied the bird with my bins and immediately r=
ealized I had  an OLIVE SIDED FLYCATCHER.   I then photographed it using=
 my 350 lens w/a 1.4 teleconverter. Got some fair shots,  good enough to=
 document the bird. Great bird and a first record for me for Olive Sided=
 in Sunquist WMA. I have only had one other sighting in Campbell County =
at Cove Lake State park   about 4 years ago.

Tennessee Warblers were pouring across the road, feeding in Ragweed.
I saw over 200 along the 4.5 mile drive to the tower.  Also had
Magnolia Warblers, Blackburnian Warbler, as well as Common Yellowthroat =
and a few resident species still around ie: Hooded Warbler and Black Thr=
oated Green.

I saw and heard up to 5 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES. =

5 SWAINSON'S THRUSH were joined by one GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH  eating berri=
es on a vine running up a Locust Tree. =

The field edges hold hundreds of Poke Berry bushes full of fruit just wa=
iting for migrants atop this flats above Stinking Creek and near
Jellico, Campbell County, TN. =

I watched my first fall NORTHERN HARRIER glide across the field habitat =
maintained for elk, slowing weaving up and over a small group of elk tha=
t were feeding nearby.  Cool morning!   An excellent location to bird, a=
nd one that needs more attention to develop a birding list of species in=
 this WMA. =

The elk watching  and listening to the bulls  bugle as they prepare for =
rutting season "ain't"  bad either!  8 Turkeys, (including a near albino=
)  deer, a few snakes and a lone coyote were also seen. Warblers flitted=
 over the observation tower, as well as Am. Goldfinch, and a first time =
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER showed up.

5 Cooper's Hawks, and 3 Sharp-Shinned blew by the tower. This place has =
potential to become a good hawk migration count location...

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN      Campbell County-  N. of Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES