[TN-Bird] Rankin cleanup 12/7

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:23:09 -0500

   The Rankin Project is sponsoring a litter pickup at Rankin Bottoms in Cocke
County on Saturday, Dec. 7, from 10:30 to 1:30.  Gloves recommended.  We'll
also be clearing out a small tract in preparation for an overlook near the RR
crossing.  This new viewing area will expand birding opportunities and offer a
great view across to the French Broad.
   Rankin East, Rankin West: The Rankin Wildlife Management Area is on the east
side of a peninsula bounded by Douglas Lake in the summer, or the French Broad
River after the lake is drawn down. The number and variety of waterbirds there
peak at a lake level of about 980 feet.  This summer, following Tony Koella's
advice, we began to find more birds on the west side of the peninsula as the
lower-elevation mudflats were exposed.  Populations peak there at roughly 970
feet.  Rankin West is all privately-owned, though subject to TVA flood
easement.  Initially, we visited  the area in a canoe; later, we got permission
from 2 local landowners to park at the gate, cross a narrow field and access
the bottoms.  Birders in general are welcome to do the same.  However, since
some of the landowners are less hospitable, a guided visit would be more
prudent than following printed directions.  >>>  The point, at last, is that
we'd be happy to show anyone who's interested how to access the bottoms of
Rankin West after the litter pickup on 12/7.

Michael Sylva and Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com