[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake, Nashville, TN

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:07:35 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
7-9 am
mostly cloudy

Snuck out to Radnor Lake this morning to beat the less than ideal
weather predicted for the rest of the week.  I walked the lake
trail from the west parking lot and hit the east parking lot before
returning by Otter Creek Road.  As expected their was a mixture
of birds.  Perhaps my best bird of the morning ws my first GREEN
HERON of the year.  Water birds included a large good sized raft of
AMERICAN COOTs hanging together in formation.  Others included a
pair of BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a pair of GADWALL plus 4 PIED-BILLED
GREBEs.  Land birds associated with winter included two calling
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERs and a BROWN CREEPER.  Last Tuesday at
Radnor I heard no BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERs, but they are now back
in major numbers.  So are the BROWN COWBIRDS.  I found only 3 warbler
species.

Birds of note included

Pied-billed Grebe 4
Wood Duck 3