[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake, Nashville, TN

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:39:48 -0600 (CST)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co., TN
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
7:15-9:45am
partly cloudy, breezy and brisk

My first Wednesday walk of the spring at Radnor Lake produced
the typical mix of winter birds and early neotropic migrants.
On the small pond on the east side I had 9 gorgeous male WOOD
DUCKs.  GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET numbers were also high with
20 or more being seen and heard.  Three species of swallows
flew over the lake with numerous TREE and ROUGH-WINGED
SWALLOWs plus 3 BARN SWALLOWs.  There were 10+ BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHERs flitting about the trees.  YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERs appreared to be making a significant push with 40+,
while I also found 2 singing LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSHes, one
at each end of the lake trail.  Three singing BLACK-THROATED
GREEN WARBLERs round out the warbler species.  Other birds
of interest included a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, an EASTERN
PHOEBE at the dam and a BROWN THRASHER a short way down the
lake trail before cane bridge.

--
Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University