[TN-Bird] Pickwick - Pace Point

  • From: "olcoot1@xxxxxxx" <olcoot1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:38:32 -0500

Oct. 29, 2011

I knew Pickwick was generating very little but the dam does hold good water.
About  100 Ring-bills and 4 Herring were all the gulls I could find from all
the viewing areas. Lots of P-billed Grebe, a dozen Horned plus only 11 Common
Loon sent me north.

At Pace Point, the wind had fewer birds out from the Point but Rocky Point
saved the day. A first winter Red-necked Grebe could not hide in the PBGs and
stuck out like a sore thumb. Both the gull and loon roost formed north of Rocky
Point. At 5:45, loons started calling from every direction and all went silent
when two Bald Eagles cleared the area.

Finally, my bonus bird was a Surf Scoter that swam right past the rocks at
Rocky Point!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135
http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the heavens.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T