[TN-Bird] Pace Point Area

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:08:55 EST

Nov. 26-27, 2009
Henry-Benton Counties, TN

A full day Thursday and a half day today produced some good birds. Thursday
 was a bitter day with the wind white capping the lake, making for tough
birding. Horned Grebes were out and about in huge numbers, I stopped counting
at  1,100. Waterfowl Numbers were real high but picking species out from
the waves  and swells with the wind blowing in your face was real work but I
ended  with 21 species including 4 species of geese, 2 Snows (1 blue 1
immature  snow) and 2 Cackling at Britton Ford.

By viewing from the highest point between Rocky Point and Budwieser Beach,
I was able to locate a single immature RED-THROATED LOON snorkeling in  the
gray swells. Till late in the day, I had only 35 Common Loons, their
numbers  about equal in the Big Sandy and TN Rivers around the point. At
Granny's
Campground, I found one of the largest concentrations of Coots I've ever
seen!!

There were more Herring Gulls found on Thursday than Ring-bills but
Bonaparte's took top honors for most numerous species along with only 1
FRANKLIN'S found today out from Gray's Cemetery and a single immature LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL at the beach on the point. Another adult Lesser  Black-backed
was
seen several times perched on a buoy out from the point. Three  trips to
Lick Creek yielded, 93-123-225 Bonaparte's Gulls but no Little. On the  last
trip, I thought I had the bird nailed as a really tiny bird, with its  dark
head tuck in its back was sleeping with the Bonaparte's. Just as I was  about
to yell "gotcha", a Forster's Tern looked straight at me, big let  down.
Today, I had 21 Forster's at Eagle Creek. Late in the day Thursday, I  worked
my way down to the Big Sandy Flats and had a few gulls and tons of
Killdeer; then on to Britton Ford where I added Redhead Ducks and the Cackling
Geese.

Finally, I arrived at Port Road, just in time for the loon Parade. Where do
 they all come from?; 400+ Loons streamed in from all directions. The gull
roost  has pushed itself north of the normal location and can be viewed from
the  overlook. At dark, you always get serenaded by the Great Horned Owl
pair across  at the Girl Scout Camp, a great way to end even a blustery gray
day.

Friday, started at 28 degrees but with clear skies and just  a light
breeze. At Paris Landing, 3 Bald Eagles kept any gulls from  roosting on gull
island but a single FRANKLIN'S Gull was resting out from Gray's  Cemetery. The
loons were hanging out mainly at the mouth of Eagle Creek and out  from the
TWRA boat ramp but I found an adult RED-THROATED LOON out from Trailer  Road.
I ventured out to the Eagle Creek / Big Sandy confluence and was rewarded
with a PACIFIC LOON. Returning to the Eagle Creek boat ramp, I found 2 TREE
SWALLOWS and photographed a first winter RED-NECKED GREBE. At noon, I left
for  Reelfoot Lake. I'll post a few photos later.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES