[TN-Bird] Re: PROBABLE VIRUS -- SUBSCRIBER BLACKLISTED

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:03:19 -0500

The email address that has been sending the suspicious messages to tn-bird used
to belong to Dick Schier in Chattanooga.  Dick sadly died a couple years ago.
He was a wonderful photographer of birds and a legitimate subscriber to
TN-bird.  Someone has apparently hijacked his email account to send these
messages.
Carole GobertKnoxville

From: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] PROBABLE VIRUS -- SUBSCRIBER BLACKLISTED
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 21:45:06 -0500

TN-Birders:  Do not open the vile with subject  Re1.  It is
from  rschier461@xxxxxxx
who appears to have sent a virus-type file to our list.  To the best
of our knowledge,
this email address is not subscribed to TN-Birds but managed to
either get in post
the possible virus, and unsubscribe without leaving a trace.  This
email
address has now been blacklisted from TN-Birds and hopefully cannot again
access
the list from this address.  Do not open any suspicious files or
poorly structured
email subjects unless you know you are taking a chance on getting a virus
from such
a message.  Several of you are having much difficulty in either
getting mail or being
able to either make posts to the list or timely posts.  TN-Birds has
had significant
growth in recent months.  With that comes 'wildcat' post that do not
meet
our standards for full names, locations, counties, etc.  Some or all
of this information
is to try and manage not only our list against problem post but to also
make the list
more useful to those who are searching archives, publishing records in the
state
journal of ornithology and other needs.  Considerable attention is
being placed on
monitoring and managing these problems.

Wallace Coffey
Moderator TN-Birds Net