[TN-Bird] OT but could be useful in birding

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:57:58 EST

This is a very interesting program that I've downloaded on my computer and I
think that it could have applications in birding.
http://www.googleearth.com

It is a satellite view of the Earth and some sections of it (like the
Nashville area) can be zoomed in close enough to see vehicles on roads. The
program
has the ability to allow you to add or take away certain mapping features and
labels. I think it is the neateast thing and have had a lot of fun just seeing
what all it can do. Just pick any spot on the globe, zoom in and see what's
there. Today I was looking at some places in the middle of nowhere in Siberia.

There are some features that you have to pay for. But I just chose the free
download option and it was up and running very quickly.

Not all places on the Earth can be viewed at the best magnification but they
say they are adding more and more places all the time so in time we may be
able to see deep in the Amazon jungle or high in the Himalayas and never leave
the comfort of our homes. The views are not live. They were taken about 2 or 3
years ago judging from the vehicles we can see that were parked at our house on
the day that the satellite snapped that particular section.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN