[TN-Bird] Nov.18, Whooping Crane update

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:27:34 EST

The migration team has finally gotten off the ground in Fentress county and
what a run they made!  As ICynthia suspected, the decision was made at 3500
feet to come on to Hiwassee and bypass Cumberland county all together.

The team is in the ready set go mode and will leave Hiwassee tomorrow morning
if the weather allows.  I suspect they will leave quite early so if you want
to see the departure you need to be there before 7am eastern.

The cranes arrived in three waves today.  The first group had an ultralight
and 12 cranes followed by another ultra light and one crane and then a third
ultra light with the remaining 3 cranes.

I only made up my mind to go to Hiwassee at about 8:30.  I was convinced they
would fly to Cumberland county.  There was a small shadow of a doubt so I
decided to go today.  Wish I'd have made up my mind fifteen minutes earlier.
As I was approaching the Tennessee river on Hwy.60  I glanced out my left
window and was quite literally surprised to see an ultra light.  I could see
one "speck" of a crane following this plane.  With hopes of seeing the birds
yet at Hiwassee I sped up but arrived just as the last group had flown behind
the trees.   Guys there's a lesson for me to learn here!  Over 30 years and I
still haven't learned the lesson completely!  LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE'S JUDGEMENT.

One of the men who was there on time has some spectacular video footage.
Without a doubt it's the best I've seen.  Some of the Chattanooga T.O.S.
people (also late) know who he is. We should do all in our power to get him
to one of our meetings.  He is focused in on one of the ultra lights that
flew just over the gazebo.  As he pans slightly behind the plane you can see
the 12 cranes.  Then, he focuses in on a few of the group for unbelieveable
take your breath away up close footage!

Let's go Crane watching!!!

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.