[TN-Bird] Re: Northern Flicker Nesting In A Hole In The Ground

  • From: "Boves, Than James" <tboves@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tonykingbird@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:55:34 -0400

Didn't know this until I looked it up, but it seems that they do regularly nest
in the ground:

From Cornell Nestwatchers project
(http://www.birds.cornell.edu/nestinginfo/bios/sp_accts/nofl) -

Nest Building:  Northern Flickers excavate their nest cavities. They are
considered weak excavators, mainly digging their nests in dead or decaying
trees that are weathered and have weak wood. It is unknown which of the pair
selects the nest site, but the location depends on the presence of weak wood,
not on the presence of a particular tree species. In addition, flicker nests
have been found in poles, fence posts, haystacks, and ground burrows. These
woodpeckers also nest in boxes, but boxes should be packed tightly with sawdust
for the birds to excavate. (See "A Nest-Box Plan for Northern Flickers" in
Section 1 for details.)

Than Boves
Knoxville, TN