[TN-Bird] Re: Northern Bobwhites

  • From: Dan Furbish <peterbilt.birder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:53:35 -0800 (PST)

Cc: Roger.Applegate@xxxxxxxxxxx, hatcher2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--0-967083355-1232510015=:89444

All,=A0 this is a very interesting thread, with great input.=0AUnless I've =
missed a post or 2. I may be all wet too, plz correct me if I am :)=0ANo on=
e has mentioned the fact that Coyotes=A0are loads more abundant than in yea=
rs past.=0ALarger mammals are no longer=A0"taking out" this=A0mammal specie=
s, many communities/states have =0Arestricted hunting and trapping of this =
species and less and less hunters hunt them so there are many more around. =
=0AWith their habitat being infiltrated and woodland fragmentation happenin=
g because of American 'sprawl' ,=0ACoyotes have over populated areas and hu=
nt ground nesting birds.=0AMy 2 cents : )=0AIn the north-east/ Massachusett=
s,=A0Northern Bobwhites are near extinct anywhere but on Cape Cod and =0Awi=
ld=A0Ring-necked Pheasants are extremely hard to find anywhere in the state=
=A0: (=0A=A0=0ADan Furbish=0ATruckin' thru 5 southern states in a big rig :=
 )=0Apeterbilt.birder@xxxxxxxxx=0A=A0=0A=0A=0A=0A__________________________=
______=0A=0AFrom: Roger Applegate <Roger.Applegate@xxxxxxxxxxx>=0ATo: hatch=
er2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=0ASent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 =
8:01:36 PM=0ASubject: [TN-Bird] Re: Northern Bobwhites=0A=0A=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=0A=0A=0ABob=
 makes some very good points. Genetics, as I indicated in the earlier post,=
 is a problem relative to introgression with domestics.=A0 Also, certainly =
genetics may play some role in smaller more isolated populations although d=
ata to date would suggest they become extinct before any significant reduct=
ion in genes occurs.=A0 However, IF we assumed that we had a place where su=
fficient habitat was available to sustain a sizeable population the problem=
s would be:=0A1. all work to date with using wild transplants indicates tha=
t in any given area it requires literally releases of thousands of bobwhite=
s to achieve success. We simply do not have enough places left in TN where =
the thousands can come from except the chicken coops at Ames or other comme=
rcial breeders of domestics.=A0 Won't solve our problem at all.=0A2. Bobwhi=
tes are on the decline everywhere and even where the thousands of birds cou=
ld be had (KS, NE, TX, OK), there's no way they will let us have them.=A0 A=
T ANY COST.=0A=0ARoger D. Applegate=0ASmall Game Coordinator=0ATennessee Wi=
ldlife Resources Agency=0AEllington Agricultural Center=0APO Box 40747=0ANa=
shville, TN 37204=0A=0A=0A
--0-967083355-1232510015=:89444

times, serif;font-size:12pt"><DIV></DIV>
<DIV>All,&nbsp; this is a very interesting thread, with great input.</DIV>
<DIV>Unless I've missed a post or 2. I may be all wet too, plz correct me if I
am :)</DIV>
<DIV>No one has mentioned the fact that Coyotes&nbsp;are loads more abundant
than in years past.</DIV>
<DIV>Larger mammals are no longer&nbsp;"taking out" this&nbsp;mammal species,
many communities/states have </DIV>
<DIV>restricted hunting and trapping of this species and less and less hunters
hunt them so there are many more around. </DIV>
<DIV>With their habitat being infiltrated and woodland fragmentation happening
because of American 'sprawl' ,</DIV>
<DIV>Coyotes have over populated areas and hunt ground nesting birds.</DIV>
<DIV>My 2 cents : )</DIV>
<DIV>In the north-east/ Massachusetts,&nbsp;Northern Bobwhites are near extinct
anywhere but on Cape Cod and </DIV>
<DIV>wild&nbsp;Ring-necked Pheasants are extremely hard to find anywhere in the
state&nbsp;: (<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P>Dan Furbish</P>
<P>Truckin' thru 5 southern states in a big rig : )</P>
<P><A href="mailto:peterbilt.birder@xxxxxxxxx"; target=_blank
rel=nofollow>peterbilt.birder@xxxxxxxxx</A></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times,
serif"><BR><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica, sans-serif">
<HR SIZE=1>
</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica,
sans-serif"><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B> Roger Applegate
&lt;Roger.Applegate@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT:
bold">To:</SPAN></B> hatcher2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><B><SPAN
style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:01:36
PM<BR><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject:</SPAN></B> [TN-Bird] Re:
Northern Bobwhites<BR></FONT><BR>Bob makes some very good points. Genetics, as
I indicated in the earlier post, is a problem relative to introgression with
domestics.&nbsp; Also, certainly genetics may play some role in smaller more
isolated populations although data to date would suggest they become extinct
before any significant reduction in genes occurs.&nbsp; However, IF we assumed
that we had a place where sufficient habitat was available to sustain a
sizeable population the problems would be:<BR>1. all work to date
 with using wild transplants indicates that in any given area it requires
literally releases of thousands of bobwhites to achieve success. We simply do
not have enough places left in TN where the thousands can come from except the
chicken coops at Ames or other commercial breeders of domestics.&nbsp; Won't
solve our problem at all.<BR>2. Bobwhites are on the decline everywhere and
even where the thousands of birds could be had (KS, NE, TX, OK), there's no way
they will let us have them.&nbsp; AT ANY COST.<BR><BR>Roger D.
Applegate<BR>Small Game Coordinator<BR>Tennessee Wildlife Resources
Agency<BR>Ellington Agricultural Center<BR>PO Box 40747<BR>Nashville, TN
37204</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica,
sans-serif">==========================<BR><BR></DIV></DIV></div><br>

--0-967083355-1232510015=:89444--

                       MAP RESOURCES