[TN-Bird] Nesting Bird Question and Another Query

  • From: Bates Estabrooks <bldg9212@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNBirdPost <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 05:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

Birders,

I have a pair of Great-Crested Flycatchers nesting in a box I put up in a large
tree in front of my house.  Having no experience with this bird, I was
wondering if it's unusual for them to use man-made boxes?

Let me reveal even more ignorance with my next question.  A while back, I made
the mistake of assuming that the Roan Mountain group of peaks was part of the
Smokies.  Apparently, this collection of high-elevation peaks (>6K ft.) is
distinct from those further south in the Appalachians.  Can anybody describe to
me the topography between the two areas?  Is there some lower region between
them that makes Roan distinct from the Smokies?

Thanks.

Bates Estabrooks
Andersonville
Anderson County