[TN-Bird] NW TN. Update

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:13:33 EDT

June 7-8-9, 2003
Lauderdale - Dyer and Lake Co. TN

Here are a few updates on birds seen the last few days:

Pied-billed Grebes have brought off young in quite a few of the wet areas.

The adult Tri-colored was found on Saturday and Sunday but south of the
original location that has now dried up. I found the bird west of Wardlow's
pocket
in Lauderdale Co. on both mornings. The location was about 2 miles from the
place I found my first adult Tri-colored in TN on July 4, 1989. It started my
quest to find them nesting in TN, which ended after finding many adults during
the summer months over the years and finally a nest with 2 young on July 13,
1996.

I don't believe any of the 9 Fulvous Whistling Ducks have been seen since May
31, after being regular in the area for over a week. The Black-bellied
Whistlers are still being seen over a wide area. After a few days with no
sightings,
Andy Sigler (from Chicago) found 4 on 79 Highway on Saturday morning. We all
went to the area with no results during the day. Hap Chambers and I found the
birds a little east of Andy's location late that afternoon and Dan and Kathy
Jacobson made it back just before dark to record them for their TN list.

The following morning I was there at 6:30 AM and they were still at that
location but had left by 8:30 AM. Kevin Calhoun and Judy Newsome were waiting
for
the birds when they arrived at dusk on Sunday. These 4 were joined by another
bird and were seen again on Monday at 6:30 AM. The water here is drying up
fast.

Anyone in the area should check around any duck boxes just in case they have
decided to breed here. The Moss Island Refuge would be a prime location.

The Black Duck was located again off of 103 Highway and evidently 2 more
males seen Wednesday night were relocated at the Bogota Refuge late Sunday.
Still
expecting a Mottled. Other ducks seen in the area this past weekend were
Ruddy, Shoveler, Gadwall with Blue-winged, Woodies, Hooded Mergs and Mallards
escorting young.

Young 2 and 3 year old Bald Eagles abound with a few adults seen up and down
the Great River Road. Least Bitterns are being found at the Handicap Hunting
area and on Reelfoot Lake.

The shorebirds have dropped to a trickle with a twist. Nesting Black-necked
stilt numbers drop everyday due to less water and more plowing. Groups and
single migrators seen this week were American Golden Plover (singles seen at
two
locations) Greater Yellowlegs - 2, Lesser Yellowlegs-1, Semipalmated Sandpiper
- 20+, White-rumped Sandpiper- 50+, and Stilt sandpiper-1. The twist came when
I found a small group containing a single Pectoral and 5 Least Sandpipers
preening and bathing in a small pool off 79 highway. A couple of species that
had
not been seen in quite awhile. Hap Chambers and I wanted better looks at the
plumage. These birds were definitely travelers by their actions and this was
proven shortly as the Pectoral just picked up and left quickly gaining altitude
and went straight south. Before it left I was able to see that it had good
tertials, only slightly worn. The 5 Least were preening and we got very close
and could see all were adults and only slightly worn with a full complement of
tertials. A couple of the birds were missing a few scaps and coverts. While we
were watching one bird even pulled a feather out in the preening process. My
thinking of the timing and conditions is that these birds were very early
returns. I look forward to finding out what the weather conditions were on the
breeding grounds. Nesting success can usually be extrapolated by the numbers of
immatures that will show up later. I usually pick up my first Least SPs
returning on the 21-22 of June with Pectorals a few days later but these bird's
condition plus the direction of the Pectoral's departure make me think these
boys
were going south unlike the other flocks that are still heading north. When I
came back a few minutes later with Dan and Kathy, the Least had also departed.

Eurasian Collard-Doves were seen Highway 87 in Lauderdale Co. on Saturday
morning. Any place there were houses or a prison there were EC-Doves. They were
also seen at all the regular locations in Dyer and Lake Co.

The Black-billed Cuckoo was again seen crossing the Great River Road at the
southwest corner of the Moss Island Refuge on Sunday afternoon. Another new
nester for this area, along with the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. The many bright
American Goldfinches seen sitting and feeding on the big blooms of the thistle
along the Great River Road is worth the trip. They are stunning show stoppers
that in the light and balanced against the hue of the flowers can take your
breath.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA