[TN-Bird] NTOS Field Trip Results Edgar Evins State Park

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:22:14 -0500

Edgar Evins State Park
DeKalb County TN

The hot weather predicted today did not materialize this morning at Edgar
Evins State Part on Center Hill Lake in DeKalb County. Thunderstorms, which
had developed in the area, were moving out as the participants of the
NTOS-sponsored Field Trip drove up. The mist and clouds and remnants of rain
made for cool temperatures and fairly good birding.

The area around the Visitor's Center and Tower was fairly quiet, although we
did hear at least one CERULEAN WARBLER as well as several RED-EYED VIREOS.
The rewards came later along the Millennium Trail where we got excellent
looks at several HOODED WARBLERS, including a male carrying a caterpillar,
probably to a nearby nest. Several KENTUCKY WARBLERS fussed and flitted
openly along the trail, probably alarmed at our getting to close to a nest.
We did not tarry. And a little further on we caught the same excited
behavior from a pair of WHITE-EYED VIREOS. In this same area we saw and
heard a pair of SCARLET TANAGERS.

The most abundant Flycatcher was the ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, but a GREAT CRESTED
FLYCATCHER high in a tree gave us pretty good looks.

Deep into the woods we stopped to listen to what must have been five or six
WOOD THRUSH singing all at once. In the midst of all that an OVENBIRD sang
out. A lone WORM-EATING WARBLER was heard close to the same spot.

Birds seen later from the Parking and Picnic Area near the marina included a
family of ORCHARD ORIOLES and several BARN and CLIFF SWALLOWS.

Thanks to those who participated and contributed good spotting skills.

Here's a rundown of what we observed:

Number of species:     37

Great Blue Heron     1
Black Vulture     2