[TN-Bird] NTOS Field Trip Results 13 November

  • From: Kevin Bowden <bnabirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:16:30 -0600

The Nashville Chapter of TOS travelled out-of-state to Wheeler National
Wildlife Refuge in northern (Morgan County) Alabama, and thus the caveat
that, while the birders were from Tennessee, the birds seen were not in
Tennessee.
The weather could not have been better as Dwight Cooley, Project Leader of
the Refuge, gave us a personal tour of key areas in the Refuge for some
excellent birding. Highlights included the numerous SANDHILL CRANES seen in
the open fields and soaring and calling in large flocks overhead. We also
got good looks at HORNED LARKS in the same fields. The huge numbers of WHITE
PELICANS soaring in unison and then gracefully landing on the open water
were a treat as well. GREAT EGRETS were also seen in large numbers. And, the
numbers of SNOW GOOSE did not disappoint. Even GREAT BLUE HERONS were
interspersed seemingly everywhere. We also go the rare opportunity to see a
PIED-BILLED GREBE actually fly as it tried to protect it catch (a fairly
large fish) from another Grebe. A slow-flying juvenile NORTHERN HARRIER
entertained us early on in the outing. The two adult BALD EAGLES and one
immature one we spotted eating its catch were also a highlight.

NTOS would like to thank Dwight for graciously giving of his time and
expertise to make this a great day to be a birder. And a thanks to all who
participated by adding their spotting skills.

Here is a breakdown of what we observed:

Number of species:     72

Snow Goose     200
Ross's Goose     1
Canada Goose     148