[TN-Bird] Mourning Warbler in Knox County

  • From: Luvsbirdn@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:10:25 EDT

Knox County
DeLorme (5th Ed) page 43, top center of page directly under the "CO" in "KNOX
CO"
9101 W Emory Rd, just west of Henderson Rd (Karns community - west)

At 9 am this morning, (8/27/05)  I observed a probable Mourning Warbler (most
likely first fall male) at the base of the high voltage tower in the field
just west (northwest) of the intersection of W. Emory Rd. and Henderson Rd.
After watching the bird for 1-2 minutes, I lost it and was unable to relocate
it
in another 45 minutes or so of effort.

The bird was foraging at eye-level (periodically flicking tail) in thick,
second-growth "islands" dominated by sassafras, crabapple, and cherry, with
nearby brushpiles, honeysuckle, privet, poke, ironweed, etc.  The chip notes
that
originally caught my interest I presumed to be coming from the cardinals with
which this bird was (coincidentally) associating.  I'm not familiar with
Mourning Warbler call notes, but the notes I heard were given singly and
sounded
like sharp cardinal notes.

I'll spare most of the details, except to state that this bird had very
distinct, broken white eye-rings or eye-arcs, strong yellow underneath
including
undertail coverts and throat, with the suggestion of a gray hood most notable
in
the form of dark gray scaling extending out from the sides of the neck toward
the top of the breast.

In spite of the strong eye-arcs, MacGillivray's should have a "stronger hood"
and is not likely to show yellow in the throat; I am confident the bird was
not a Connecticut or other warbler.

Anyone intersted in trying their luck is welcome, although the bird will
likely be difficult to relocate.  Pull in the driveway at 9101 W. Emory Rd. and
park near the martin houses beyond the paved part of the driveway.  Enter the
field through the opening in the fence - the powerline and tower are to the
east
and will be obvious.  Alternatively, if the gate on Henderson Rd. is open,
you may pull into the field there & park, walk parallel to Emory Rd. until
crossing a foot bridge and head up the hill to the powerline area.  Feel free
bird anywhere between Henderson Rd and the board fence just west of the barn
(behind the house).  The northwest corner of the property has some electric
fencing (hot!) - but there is gated access in a few places and you may bird
there
as well.

Calling ahead is not necessary; 865-804-4142 if questions, comments, or
positive ID.

Kelly Roy
9101 W. Emory Rd.
Knoxville TN