[TN-Bird] Mississippi River Run

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:21:32 EDT

July 29, 2005
Dacus and Loosahatchie Bars
Shelby Co. TN

I had lunch today at Mud Island and found the 13 Black-necked Stilts still
scattered along the bars for a couple of miles. There seems to be 3 family
groups. The Piping Plover was still present and had picked up a ghostly friend,

a Sanderling pretty well molted out into basic plumage. Still a sprinkling of
peeps, Spotted and Lesser Yellowlegs.

All there terns had disappeared except the Least and added to the list was  a
single Ring-billed Gull.

I forgot to mention, yesterday on my way into Ensley Bottoms, I ran across  a
family of Mockingbirds and one was ashy white with a few pure white feathers
mottling its breast. I've only seen one other leucistic Mocker and that was
years ago. There was too much traffic to get a photo but maybe the weekend
will change that. Quite a striking bird.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN