[TN-Bird] Migration movement in Gibson County

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 07:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

3-5 May 2010
I've had lots of migrants moving through Gibson County this week. On Monday,
May 3 I birded Toy Alford Rd. not far from where I live west of Trenton for
about an hour. I had a nice look at a male Golden-winged Warbler (FOS) and also
had the following birds along this road:

Wood Thrush - 3
Scarlet Tanager - 1
Summer Tanager - 2
Indigo Bunting - 10+
Blue Grosbeak - 2
Magnolia Warbler - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3
Kentucky Warbler - 2
Yellow-breasted Chat - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 2
Orchard Oriole - 1

A little further south on Charlie Butler Rd. & Lonnie Barber Rd. I found over
50 Eastern Kingbirds and 100+ Indigo Bunting. These were my two most numerous
birds of the day. I also had 8 Blue Grosbeaks.

At Trenton Shady Acres Park I had my first Common Nighthawk of the season
flying around the ballfields.

Later on Monday evening I spent about an hour outside listening to passing
migrants overhead. There were lots of birds flying over and I recognized the
following flight calls from the lot:

Black-bellied Plover - 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 4
Swainson's Thrush - 6

On Tuesday, May 4th I was working on Loop Rd west of Trenton and noted the
following:

Lark Sparrow - 1 (this bird was singing from a fencerowwhen I first noticed
it and it flew off to the west. I never relocated it.)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 2
Indigo Bunting - 24
Blue Grosbeak - 2

This morning when I arrived at the office in Trenton I was saddened to see 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoos dead in the parking lot below our communications tower.
There were a couple of other smaller bird that I could not identify as they
were very decomposed and looked to have been there a few days. I plan on trying
to check at some other tower locations later today.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County