[TN-Bird] Re: Merlin at Percy Priest Lake, Nashville

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx>, <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:51:55 -0600

Richard,

Merlins are certainly always a welcome sight for me in TN, it's hard to
imagine a bird with more spunk! While a much bigger area, the TN River
bottoms around Savannah, TN (Hardin Co.)  are very reliable for Merlin in
the winter as well. I haven't made it over there yet this season, but in my
limited trips there over the previous 4 winters, I have regularly seen
Merlins, at least once a winter. Granted, certainly not a staked out
location, but time spent in this area generally produces a winter Merlin. I
may be wrong, but I think Merlin is found more often than it is missed on
the Savannah CBC. The general location I'm talking about is the Pittsburg
Landing Rd area, which has a couple of roads that bisect it, giving you
access to a large area of the bottoms. This is directly across the TN river
from Pittsburg Landing on the DeLorme, just a few miles north of Pickwick
Dam.

Merlins are seen occasionally around KY Lake in the winter, but Peregrine
sightings are much more "common" at this time of the year.

Great shots by the way, much better than the one distant shot I've taken of
a winter Savannah Merlin!
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/38722771

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd