[TN-Bird] Mendota Hawk Report for Wednesday, September 19, 2007

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, agill@xxxxxxxx, mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, comeback@xxxxxxxx, jbhilmon@xxxxxxxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, driggs5007@xxxxxxxxxxx, scottj@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxxxx, maryran@xxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:44:46 EDT

Mendota Hawk Watch Report for Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Tom Hunter and I arrived at the tower at 9:00 a.m. and were quickly absorbed
in counting the hundreds of Broad-winged hawks streaming by on the Southeast
side of the mountain during the morning. Fortunately, Mike Hagy, Abingdon, VA
showed up at 11:00 a.m. to provide relief and help us maintain order and
sanity. Needless to say, we had a very busy morning as we counted 1361
Broad-winged
hawks by noon. As the day warmed up and the hawks started riding higher and
higher on the thermals, they became harder to see. We had a morning wind out of
the Southeast at 5-15 mph, followed by calm winds until about 4:00 p.m. The
wind then shifted to the Northeast at 5-10 mph. Temperatures again ranged from
60F-80F. Visibility was 20-25 miles, and the sky was mostly clear except for a
few thermal clouds and vapor trails. Vick and Betsy Briscoe of Harkers Island,
NC showed up around 4:00 p.m. and helped until we left at 6:30.

Totals and Year-to-date (YTD)

Broad-winged hawk: 1662  YTD: 4865
Osprey:                      0    YTD: 13
Am. Kestrel:               0   YTD: 5
Cooper's hawk:           1   YTD: 11
Sharp-shinned hawk:   0   YTD: 3
Am. Bald Eagle:         1   YTD: 10
Peregrine falcon:         0    YTD: 3
Northern Harrier:         0    YTD: 1
Red-shouldered hawk: 0    YTD: 1

We also counted 13 Monarch butterflies as time permitted.

The Mendota Hawk Watch is held at the Mendota Fire Tower (Elevation 3020) on
Clinch Mountain, which sits on the Washington/Russell Counties line, three
miles north of Mendota, VA. Come join the fun. No experience is necessary. OJT
is
provided.

Plan now to attend the Mendota Hawk Festival, Saturday, September 22, 2007.
The festival is held at the Mendota Community Center, Mendota, VA.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES