[TN-Bird] Memphis to Reelfoot

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 07:54:26 EST

Nov. 21, 2009
Lauderdale WR
Great River Road
Reelfoot Lake

Only 19 species of waterfowl on the trip with many flotillas on the
Mississippi that were mostly scaup but included both Canvasback and Redheads.
The
best find was a single BLACK SCOTER out from the boat ramp at Champy Pocket
 on the west end of the lake. At Lauderdale, they are just flooding the
fields  and a few Greater White-fronted and 10 species of ducks were present.
Reelfoot  Lake had huge numbers of ducks in rafts, but mostly using the west
end of  lower lake.

Lots of Red-tails and Harrier's along the roads and Bald Eagles were
everywhere soaring with 6 feeding on a deer near Phillippy. Four Red-tails were

photographed in one tree near Halls and all four were calurus subspecies; I
guess traveling buddies.

Just a sprinkling of DC Cormorants and White Pelicans around Reelfoot Lake,
 way down from last trip. Gulls were spread all around the lake, but they
were  heavily concentrated in the east end and up to Samburg. A single
FRANKLIN'S  rested all day out in front of the TWRA ramp east of the state park
but was  joined by 11 more at roost time. I saw brief flashes of black under
wings among  the Bonaparte's feeding across from the State Park all
afternoon, later an adult  LITTLE GULL came into the roost. I saw another
landing in
the roost a little  later but could not determine if the first bird had just
got up and moved. A  very tiny, dark first year bird settled among the
Franklin's Gulls and revealed  itself to be another LITTLE. We had a similar
pair about this time a few years  ago but this immature is far darker retaining
more juvenile plumage. A 3rd yr,  LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL joined a few
Herrings just at dusk. Six species of  gulls, not to shabby, just hope they
stick around for CBC. Not much water in the  fields, the drought years allowed
the farmers to ditch and now the water runs  away pretty fast. We have lost
lots of great habitat in the last few  years.

The most exciting bird was an apparent CLARKE'S GREBE, the bird was distant
 but in good sun and immediately struck me with its extensively gray sides,
white  face, thin dark cap and a very thin black stripe at nape. Later,
good looks  at the clean bright yellow bill pretty much said Clarke's, my 3rd
seen in  TN. Poor photos pretty much just hint at all the above but the heat
waves were  exaggerated by the camera and scope magnification.  Hopefully
David or  Mike may get better photos this week. Mike and I had another
Clarke's at Memphis  in NOV 04.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES