[TN-Bird] Melton Hill Park Great Egret, Red-eyed Vireos

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:15:10 -0400

Interesting morning at Melton Hill Park in west Knox County today.  In many
places trees were fruiting and were full of birds eating the berries, cherries,
whatever.  In particular I saw quite a few Red-eyed Vireos plucking the fruit
out in the open; I've never seen so many before.  They were spending very
little energy singing as they were too busy eating.  I counted at least 7 that
I had good looks at but there were undoubtedly more.  The first Scarlet
Tanagers I've seen here liked the fruit too.  The biggest surprise of the day
was a Great Egret making its way along the far shore under the bluff.  It
stopped briefly a few times to check out the water but then continued on its
way to wherever it was heading.  I had just finished looking at the egret when
three Ospreys appeared. Not unusual as I almost always see Ospreys here.  Two
of them immediately joined 5 Black Vultures as they circled higher and higher
above the park (not sure I've seen Ospreys hanging out with vultures before)
while the third Osprey stayed behind and hunted over the water.  But the
highlight of my morning was finally, at long last, managing to get a quick look
at a singing Yellow-throated Warbler.  I've been hearing them for a couple of
months in various places and have spent countless minutes staring into tree
tops trying to spot one until finally this morning SUCCESS!
37
species

Double-crested Cormorant  6

Great Blue Heron  1