[TN-Bird] Maryville Greenway water fowl

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:36:12 -0500

Late afternoon Sunday (3:30 - 4:15 p.m.) took a short walk along the water
in the area of the Blount County Library (park entrance past spillway) and
had a nice variety of waterfowl (more variety than usual, that is).

1 female green winged teal
3 Gadwall drakes
2 ring necked ducks
78 Mallards
12 Canada Geese
12 American Coots

Also 2 Killdeer and a Belted Kingfisher

a crow (American), a singing house finch and several pigeons.

Why is it that all the male Gadwalls that I see look like they're wearing
little brown caps but none of the guides mention this and the photos in the
guides don't show it?  I searched the gallery on Bird Forum just to assure
myself that I am indeed seeing male Gadwalls and many of their photos do
show the cap.  Maybe it's just how the light strikes the bird that shows the
top of its head as being darker?

Carole Gobert
Knox County, Tennessee