[TN-Bird] Major Wind Bird Movement

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 08:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

April 8, 2012

Friday, Kenny Nichols and Dick Baxter photographed a breeding  plumaged
Ruff and a Reeve at the minnow farms in Prairie Co. AR. The Reeve was
relocated Saturday. On Saturday Gene Knight called and had multiple thousands
of
L-b Dowitchers falling in at Crowder MS plus a nice mix of birds.

In Shelby Co, TN, all started out with a good number of  shorebirds but
just after 8:30, groups of travelers started dropping in, some  staying, others
resting and moving on. As usual this lasted till around 10;30  ish and the
push was over but still a lot of birds left to glean through.
Golden-Plovers were hard to come by all day as few fields left un-plowed.  VERY
 high
counts of Pectoral Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs were noted  and over 400
Lesser Yellowlegs fell out of the sky in just one flight. Two  Peregrine
Falcons buzzed through, and a Cooper's Hawk slowly circled over  the area
causing
masses of shorebirds to flail around, some streaming north  others settling
back in and chattering about the encounters. A total of 20  shorebird
species found shifting through the mix, including phalarope, Willet,  Baird's
etc.

Spent some time with a Birmingham birder sharing the hordes of  birds, he
had just come through DeSoto Co, in MS and found his lifer  UPLANDS (3) in
the fields where we reported them last weekend. One happy birder  got good
studies of bland Dunlin and Stilt Sandpipers plus big time numbers of  up-close
WIND BIRDS!!

I had a total of 31 UPLAND SANDPIPERS on the day, two in TN  and 3 groups
at 3 locations (21-3-5) off of Old Highway 61 in DeSoto  Co, MS.

Other birds of note in TN, a Snowy Egret that has been around  for over a
week, 2 female Red-breasted Mergansers in Shelby Co, and a  Common Moorhen in
Tipton Co, still hanging around in a sliver of a slough, and  my FOS
Eastern Kingbird.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_  http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)

What is this feathered thing that lifts  my heart to the heavens.