[TN-Bird] Re: Lewis County "blitz"

  • From: Duane Rice <drbirdsong4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:51:40 -0600

Bill,
Wow! Great Job!
You are to be commended for your efforts to get it done.
You did better solo, than some groups do. Not bad for a "whim".
Keep the posts coming.
dr  > To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> From: bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [TN-Bird]
Lewis County "blitz"> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:36:58 -0600> > Since I haven't
yet gotten around to organizing a CBC/winter count > for my area, on a whim
yesterday (1/5/09) I went out and covered the > high spots of my prospective
count circle solo, as many as I could > get to before dark. At least this gives
some baseline data before I > get the real count up and running. I admit part
of my incentive was > to get the Robin roost counted since it is very unlikely
to be there > again in future years!> > I started with a little owling at my
own place, turning up one each > of Am. Woodcock, Eastern Screech Owl, and
Great Horned Owl. With the > dreary gray rainy weather all day, I had three
more daylight Screech > Owls responding to my imitations. Four in one day,
after the species > was entirely missed by all parties on the Savannah CBC! The
rest of > the day was running from spot to spot, checking all my maps from last
> year for where I had marked as "good." The weather toned things down > quite
a bit; I only had one vulture all day.> > My species total was 63. The biggest
surprise was 4 species of > ducks. This is an extremely duck-less area, I
didn't expect to get > even one. But I came across two Gadwall in a small pond
in a cow > pasture, and was then shocked to discover that Napier Lake, perhaps
> because it is severely drawn down, hosted 37 ducks of three > additional
species! A total of 39 individuals and 4 species is > probably about 30
individual and three species higher than my > previous best duck day in this
county. As I posted earlier, I also > had my second Loggerhead Shrike and first
"Pink-sided" (Dark-eyed) > Junco for the county. For the roost species I just
used the roost > count for the total, assuming any birds I saw earlier were
probably > included in the masses at the roost. The "away from roost" numbers >
are informative for comparison to totals from last year when there > was no
roost. My totals for the day were:> > Canada Goose 45> Gadwall 2> American
Wigeon 2> Northern Pintail 34> Green-winged Teal 1> Great Blue Heron 1> Turkey
Vulture 1> Red-shouldered Hawk 4> Red-tailed Hawk 2> American Kestrel 4>
Killdeer 5> American Woodcock 1> Rock Pigeon 14> Eurasian Collared-Dove 1>
Mourning Dove 33> Eastern Screech-Owl 4> Great Horned Owl 1> Belted Kingfisher
1> Red-headed Woodpecker 1> Red-bellied Woodpecker 17> Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
3> Downy Woodpecker 8> Hairy Woodpecker 5> Northern Flicker 8> Pileated
Woodpecker 5> Eastern Phoebe 10> Loggerhead Shrike 1> Blue Jay 35> American
Crow 77> Carolina Chickadee 16> Tufted Titmouse 30> White-breasted Nuthatch 13>
Brown Creeper 3> Carolina Wren 35> Winter Wren 7> Golden-crowned Kinglet 11>
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1> Eastern Bluebird 76> Hermit Thrush 12> American Robin
1000000 (301 away from roost)> Northern Mockingbird 13> Brown Thrasher 1>
European Starling 5000 (591 away from roost)> Cedar Waxwing 257> Yellow-rumped
Warbler 31> Eastern Towhee 21> Field Sparrow 224> Fox Sparrow 3> Song Sparrow
72> Swamp Sparrow 44> White-throated Sparrow 210> Dark-eyed Junco 393> Northern
Cardinal 59> Red-winged Blackbird 1000 (84 away from roost)> Eastern Meadowlark
24> Rusty Blackbird 400 (all at roost)> Common Grackle 5000 (100 away from
roost)> Brown-headed Cowbird 100 (all at roost)> Purple Finch 9> House Finch
17> Pine Siskin 12> American Goldfinch 156> House Sparrow 22> > For comparison,
last year I covered the same area over 8 half-days (4 > times as many hours
afield), and came up with 67 species. Some > interesting contrasts between last
year and this:> > Species with higher totals this year than last, in spite of
1/4 the > effort (other than the ducks already mentioned and the huge totals >
from the roost)): Eastern Screech Owl, Great Horned Owl, Red-headed >
Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Eastern > Phoebe,
Blue Jay, American Robin (away from roost), Cedar Waxwing, > Yellow-rumped
Warbler, Red-winged Blackbird (away from roost), Common > Grackle (away from
roost), American Goldfinch.> > Species with much lower totals this year, even
allowing for reduced > effort: Black Vulture (weather), Turkey Vulture
(weather), Carolina > Chickadee, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglet,
Chipping > Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow.> > These patterns seem to be
consistent with what has been generally > noted this year, that acorn and berry
feeders are doing better this > year after a terrible year in 2008 (aftermath
of the 2007 freeze). I > had noticed a scarcity of chickadees and kinglets
locally this > winter; it seems to be at least a county-wide phenomenon.> >
Bill Pulliam> Hohenwald TN> =================NOTES TO
SUBSCRIBER=====================> > The TN-Bird Net requires you to SIGN YOUR
MESSAGE with> first and last name, CITY (TOWN) and state abbreviation.> You are
also required to list the COUNTY in which the birds> you report were seen. The
actual DATE OF OBSERVATION should> appear in the first paragraph.>
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society > Neither the
society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)> endorse the views or opinions expressed> by
the members of this discussion group.> > Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol,
TN> wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Andy Jones> Cleveland, OH> -------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Dave Worley> Rosedale, VA>
Tennessee Ornithological Society> web site at http://www.tnbirds.org> * * * * *