[TN-Bird] Lake Tansi Western Grebes - YES - 12/19/09

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:22:20 -0600

Hi Ed,
Even though I seem to be subscribed to TN-Bird I am having trouble posting,
could you please post this for me?

Mark McShane
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia

      Subject:
      Lake Tansi Western Grebes - YES - 12/19/09
      Date:  Sun, 20 Dec 2009 01:26:14 -0500
      From:  Mark McShane <mcshane1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      To:  tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I came up from metro Atlanta Saturday morning to try to relocate the two
Western Grebes first reported by Joseph Mast and DJ Stanley on the 12th
from Lake Tansi in Cumberland County.  I arrived at about 9am, there was
severe fog in the vicinity  of the lake and at the marina, and a hint of
slight snow flurries at times.  When I arrived at the waters edge inside
the marina I was wondering if the fog would ever lift and visibility was
only about 150 feet when suddenly the two target birds appeared about
100 feet off of the marina and stayed long enough for me to see them
well in the scope, then they vanished into the mist!  A little while
later the fog lifted enough that I could see the two western grebes (or
grebes from the west) further out on the water and in the company of
both Horned Grebes and Pied-billed Grebes which they were close to at
times!  Wow, very nice for the southeast!

Afterwards I headed to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge where one Whooping Crane
was seen on the far shore of the lake surrounded by hundreds of Sandhill
Cranes.  We had 6 young Bald Eagles on the far river shore in one scope
view as well, plus a 2nd year Bald Eagle standing in shallow water in
the lake feeding on what looked like a Sandhill Crane!

I stopped at Chickamauga Dam afterwards seeing lots of Common Loons,
Bonaparte's and Ring-billed Gulls, and finished the day in Chickamauga
Georgia at Crawfish Springs checking the couple of hundred Canada Geese
there hoping for at least one Cackling Goose, but none were to be found.

Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia